Below are answers to the most frequently asked questions about our AAU Team Program:
► WHO CAN PLAY
- Boys 3rd grade – 9th grade.
- High School Program (based on availability)
Whenever possible we attempt to field a minimum of TWO teams per grade level, 10 players per team. Several grades have up to 4 teams. The teams are as follows:
“Travel Teams” – Our Travel Team program is made up of Elite Blue, Gold, White teams.
- Our Elite teams consist of the most competitive players for their age group, who will play a Division 1 or 2 AAU schedule. These teams will play generally play in our local MVP League combined with 6-7 tournaments throughout the year. There may be a couple tournaments which require travel out of the local area. These teams are for our most committed players and families.
- Our Comp teams are club teams for players who have advanced beyond their recreational/school teams, and want to begin playing more competitively and are very passionate about the game. They will play a local Division 3 AAU schedule with league games at Tice Valley or Ultimate Fieldhouse in Walnut Creek, CA
► ELITE TEAMS & COMP TEAMS
All of our teams are designated “Elite” or “Comp”.
Our Travel Teams have demonstrated the ability to play against very competitive teams. Therefore Travel Teams have a slightly higher program cost due to their increased game schedule, tournaments, and practice time.
Please see the Teams page for more information on the breakdown on Elite Program and Comp Program.
For specific cost information, please see the program flyer on our League Registration page.
Our cost includes the following:
Tournament fees – Each tournament charges a tournament fee for each team.
Practice facilities – Our main practice facility is Tice Valley Gym in Walnut Creek is a high-quality facility that resurfaces their floors annual and thus it has a high quality cost. We occasionally rent other high quality gyms in Walnut Creek and Danville CA based on the numbers of players during a given season.
Coaches – All of our coaches are professional coaches with ample coaching experience at all different levels from high school, AAU, CYO, International, and professional levels. Our coaching experience is amongst the best in the state.
Travel – For all travel tournaments, we cover our coaches’ transportation and lodging. All travel & accommodations for the players is a personal expense, and is not covered by the program. We do not supervise players except during games, although we do help arrange carpools and hotel room sharing.
Gear– All SportStrong apparel is high quality merchandise, and yours to keep. New players will be required to purchase practice jersey and a fully-customized, stitched reversible game uniform. Players have the option of purchasing additional gear such as hoodie, pullover jackets, shooting shirts, and bags. Elite teams have specific gear that all players generally purchase.
- Tryouts for our AAU Elite Program occur once per year, in early February.
- Tryouts for our AAU Comp Program occur early February and generally two weeks prior to each League Season. Our Comp program does not operate during winter; however, all Comp players are invited to attend our SCORE (Winter Shooting Clinics)
- You can register for our tryouts online, generally at least one month in advance. Sign up for a free account to join our mailing list, and you will be notified when registration is open.
- Each player in our program must attend our tryouts every year in February to be evaluated by our coaching staff. Within one week after the tryouts, each family will be notified via email whether or not their child makes one of our teams, and which team they made.
- Unfortunately, due to limited resources and the competitive nature of AAU basketball, we cannot accept every player. We encourage each player to continue to try out in future seasons, if they do not make a team. We do our best to make the tryout process a positive experience for each player. This is another reason why we have both Elite Program and the Comp program.
► GAMES / TOURNAMENTS
The bottom line is kids love to play games, and we play most weekends. We will provide each team with the weekends of the prospective leagues and tournaments at the beginning of the season. Each tournament is run by a different club and is therefore set up slightly differently each time. However, the following will be consistent:
- 3 games total for the weekend (typically 2 on Sat and 1 on Sun but can be vice versa)
- Game times are anytime between 8am-8pm, so please keep schedules open during the weekend.
- Tournament Directors are required to get us brackets by Thursday evening, at which time we will review carefully and then send out via email. These emails require a response from each family within 24 hours, with your availability. We understand that it is a challenge to receive the schedules so last-minute, however it is the nature of AAU.
- Each team practices a minimum of 2.0 practices per week (6 per month).
- All practices will be weekday evening between 4pm & 9pm. Typically our youngest teams practice earlier and our older teams practice later.
- All of our practices are at Tice Valley Gym unless otherwise noted at another local Walnut Creek or Danville gym.
The more the players practice the better they will understand our defensive and offensive strategies and sets. Practice is how their basketball IQ will develop and increase.
- For our Elite teams, we require and recommend a minimum attendance of 75% of all practices and games.
- For our Comp teams, we recommend a minimum attendance of 50% of all practices and games.
- If you are unable to attend a practice or tournament, please notify your coach/program director as soon as possible.
We are passionate about basketball and wish to share this great game with as many players as we can. If there are any concerns or barriers that prevent your son from participating, please contact our Director, David See, email@example.com